Sunday, October 4, 2009

Locative Media by Gabriella DiFulvio

I definitely agree with Jake in that I was unsure of what the concept of locative media was after reading but after seeing a few websites and the presentation in class on Thursday I have a stronger grasp of the concept. I thought Thursday's presentation was really interesting in the sense that we participate in locative media everyday just by living our lives and exploring our surroundings, this is just another way to document these instances. The presentation made me realize that taking notice to all of the small things such the names carved into the bench you are sitting on has meaning and we take it for granted because we see it so often. To me locative media forces us to be more aware of our surroundings and notice things we may have overlooked in the past. I think a great concept would be to integrate some sort of locative media on Temple's campus for possible new freshman. Have a handful of students go around to their favorite spots on campus and share a story that took place there. Obviously if parents were involved the stories would have to be appropriate, but I think it would be interesting to have people share some inappropriate stories as well, just for other students to hear. It could provide a real, non-censored view of our campus and student life.

No comments:

Post a Comment