Monday, November 2, 2009

Adam Bonanni-Invisible Cities

I appreciated the attention to detail in the description of these cities. They had almost an ethereal or religious quality to them and I couldn't help but imagine an M.C. Escher painting in conjuring the twisted and meticulous way these cities were envisioned. Ultimately, though, I was kind of unsatisfied by this reading because I didn't feel like I came away with something concrete. It complicates things, but there is an air of mystery to these cities, and some, especially Cities and Desire 5 and Cities and the Sky 3 feel like ghost towns. I looked for a discernible way to tie these cities together, but I couldn't find one. Perhaps they speak toward the people who inhabit them? Although we are given little background on the inhabitants, presented as mysterious as the cities themselves, the sense of a bond between city and citizen feels somewhat concrete

No comments:

Post a Comment