Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Laura Napolitano--locative narrative

Having only read the first half of the article, I'm not quite sure what the main point of it was. (This seems to be happening a lot for me with the articles for this class. I don't quite understand what the person is trying to say.) I like how the author is saying that every place has a different story, sometimes several. The house I live in was inhabited by another family before we moved in. It had a different story 20 years ago when they lived here, especially because it was a brand new house when they moved in. Before my house was built, the piece of land was a corn field. It meant something different then, too. My whole block (not a city block, i live in the suburbs of Philly so the "block" is about a half mile long) used to be farmland before the houses were built. My neighbor across the street told me that when he and his wife moved in 30 or 40 years ago, there were only 3 houses on the street, 1 of which was still being built. Things have definitely changed. It's the same location, but a different time, a different story to tell, with different people to tell it. And I'm sitting at home telling this story, but I'm on my laptop and I could easily be at the train station, on the train, or even in Vermont at my grandmother's house writing this.

Our class is all about locative narrative. We're all blogging from different locations, whether it's at home, school, a friend's house, Starbucks, or someplace else. We each have a different perspective on what we read and write because of where we are, not only physically, but also where we are in our lives. We have all experienced different things in our lives because of where and when we've grown up.

Temple University has even changed in the 125 years it's been around. I started out at Ambler campus and was shocked when I started at main because it's such a completely different location. It really is a suburban vs urban experience. It's very much like being on two separate college campuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment