Sunday, September 20, 2009

John Curall-"Mixed Body" Performance Reaction

I had the opportunity to go back and see the Performance of "Mixed Body" on Friday. I was very glad I did. It was very interesting and inspiring. I am very interested in the collaboration of technology and performance artist and this was an excellent example of that. Further, I feel like in making it a participatory experience where viewers can interact with the performers and be right on stage with them it added to the experience and made it that much more engaging. I like the abstract nature of the piece which allowed the viewer to make some of his or her own thoughts about the experience. However, I feel like there were very specific statements the artists wanted to make and they were lost a little in the abstractness. I found the dialogue in the music to be very unclear at times. I also thought the facial recognition video was so abstract it was little hard to understand the message or what the video images were representing. All in all the I found the performance to be powerful and engaging. I hope to see more projects like this in the future from these artists or others. I would like to maybe even get the chance to collaborate on a project like this myself some day. At the very least for cool factor alone this performance gets high marks from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment