Wednesday, October 14, 2009

ALGORITHMIC PSYCHOGEOGRAPHY-JAKE WOOLF

Basically. I think it would be really awesome to try and do one of these type of "adventures". Now while I feel it serves little purpose overall (or maybe my lack of understanding of purpose), I don't think that takes away from its awesomeness. The idea that rather than having set destinations in a city, our destinations are the surprise is something I never even thought of. When I travel to a new city, I typically know what things I want to do. For instance, what stores i want to see, what restaurants, events, even people. Not having any idea where your route will lead however is an entirely new experience that can only be recreated if you were actually dropped in a foreign city and were lost. In the case of the experiment though I feel its a little safer. I don't think it is foolproof though. Cities all have commonalities of their structures, as well as certain indicators by the people in the city of where they are going or where they have been (i.e. a shopping bag). After a few blocks we basically will have an idea of what type of an area we are in, whether it be a residential area or a ghetto or shopping district. Nonetheless, I hope I get a chance to do this in a city I've never been to.

No comments:

Post a Comment