Saturday, October 17, 2009

Urban Algorithm - Charly Joung

For my urban algorithm project, I chose my own neighborhood to explore. Even though I have been living in the same area my whole life, I realized that there were many parts of it I have not noticed or even been to.

Every time I go to the nearby gym, I take the same route - the fastest and easiest way possible. I decided to apply urban algorithm to my route and my rule was to go about a certain pattern for turns onto streets (not alleyways or one-way streets going the opposite direction for obvious reasons). The pattern was:

Left, right, left, right
Right, left, right, left
Left, right, left, right
Right, left, right, left
And so on, until I've reached my destination.

Although the trip took a little bit longer than usual, I discovered a couple streets I have never even heard of, much less been on. And the whole experience was odd to me because at certain points of the trip, I felt like I was not in my neighborhood.

I documented my whole route here:



Also, here is a map I have created to show my original route in yellow and my route with the algorithmic pattern in blue.





No comments:

Post a Comment