Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Convivial Art

The concept that art is transforming from an purely asthetic medium into a social experiment that concentrates on form rather than skill is a little bothering to me. The generations that come after us arent going to look on the computer and find videos of these social experiments and say wow this is beautiful. Art is apart of the way generations communicate with each other over the centuries. I find it sad to think that when my great great grand-children look through the rubble of todays buildings that they wont find mosaics and pottery but hard drives and DVD's. I agree that all of these new forms of art can be profound and artistic but I also believe it is inferior to its predecessors. Conviviality amongst great works of art is a state of mind that any individual can bring to any situation but that is on the individual.

My idea for participatory art project is the following.
Establish a canvas and isle by the bell tower with approximately four people, I would arrange a line were each person will contribute a part of the painting in line each person would be personally talked to about what they wanted to paint while each participant helped them develope the idea while in line waiting. The only rules would be, No vulgarity and no sex organs. This would be decided by myself. The friendliness and the helpfulness of the participants would create a conviviality allowing authentic artistic expression and empower the people who have now become artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment