Monday, September 14, 2009

John Curall-Participatory Action Re-Design

My idea for a participatory exercise would be a group hug type of situation where various individuals of diverse backgrounds, ethnicities, genders, etc. would be embraced by a larger group representing the world. The group would all join hands in a large circle around an individual. On cue the circle would move around the individual in unison to collectively hug that individual. Then someone else would move into the circle and the process would be repeated. Eventually observers would be invited into the circle. The effect would be kind of like the world embracing individuals. Something I believe we need to see more of. As the reading talked about we are usually in these very structured social situations that do not really allow for us to feel like we physically belong to a community. We all tend to be in our own little world and feel separated from the world to some extend. This is way to physically feel like we are a part of the world again and not so cut off.

Rule #1: There should be a good representation of different ethnicities, genders, etc. in the group.

Rule #2: All should be silent except for maybe when inviting observers to enter the circle.

Rule #3: The large group should always try and stay as a cohesive unit in order to best represent their role as representing the world.

I know someone else also had a hug idea.

I apologize for any perceived similarities.

This was a difficult exercise for me as I am usually much more comfortable as an observer than as a participator.

I work in a business that is in the public I, yet I chose a job behind the scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment