Monday, November 9, 2009

Design Study #2: Locative Narrative


View Delaware County Skate Spots in a larger map

1) The place I have chosen to start my design study was in my own local neighborhood, Prospect Park, at a skate shop called Synergy. The Skate shop has been around about three years now. First, Synergy started exclusively as a print shop. My friends and I began to talk to the owner about selling skateboards. As soon as the shop began selling skateboards business began booming and the name Synergy was welcomed into Delaware County. Then about a year into selling skateboards the store manager came up with the idea of selling bikes. Shortly after the first bike was sold business doubled. As of now I work at the shop and a lot of children ask me about places where to go and skate. I always draw a blank when this question comes up. This project is the perfect idea of how to solve their question. I have made a map and a set of directions to each spot, starting from Synergy, with as many local skate spots that came to mind. Each spot (Trigger Point) includes at least one picture of the spot and detailed information about that spot when you click the maker. Such as what the spot includes, the obstacles, and whether or not the cops will come and ask you to leave or being giving you a ticket if your caught. If the spot has a RED marker it is a bust, meaning that if cops come you will be ticketed, if a GREEN marker then there is a 50-50 chance of getting in trouble, and if there is a BLUE marker you can skate for awhile without trouble or worries.

2) The only form of communication that would be necessary would be an iPod. From the IPod the skateboarder would connect it to their computer and download the pod cast for the spot (Trigger Point) that they want to go that day.

3) The pod cast would be played when the skateboarder gets to the spot or “Trigger Point.” The pod cast would include a video and recoding of all the tricks that has been done at the particular spot and the person who performed each trick. This would have to be updated at least once a week to keep the tricks and videos current and up to date that have to do with that skate spot.(Trigger Point)

4) After the skateboarder leaves the spot (Trigger Point) they should return by the end of the day and update the pod cast by adding there new tricks that was recently done at the spot (Trigger Point) that they skated.

This project is like no other project that I have done in the past. It includes skateboarding, which has and will always be a big part of my life. This made me revisit old skate spots that I haven’t been to in years. That made me think about all the trick that were done at each spot and made me remember people that I used to skate within the past you fell out of the sport. This project will help many skateboarders out with finding new places to skateboard around Delaware County. The only other project that came to mind when creating and actually going to spots with to take pictures was the project that involved people places recordings about that spot such as stories that the person had there and also any other information about that place they knew. I can’t remember the exact name of the project but I remember there was a green ear that showed you could call the number on the ear and listen to each story. I will definitely be using this project outside of class to actually help skateboarders know about skate spots around Delaware County. I will be putting the map I created on Synergy’s website after I talk to the owner about the project. I hope and will encourage other skateboards around my town to tell me about other skate spots around my town that either I have forgotten about or might not even know about myself. The only thing I will exclude from this project is the actual pod cast simply because that is where things would get complicated and time consuming.


No comments:

Post a Comment