Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Design Study 2


View design study2 in a larger map



1.For design study 2 I decided to create a locative narrative project involving passyunk st. in South Philly. I only involved the street from 11Th and passyunk to south street. While walking on this tour I past some of Philadelphia's most talked about restaurants like Pat's and Geno's, as well as things like the Italian Market, and South Street.


2. The communication method which I would use for this project is a cell phone. At my trigger points I think I would have just large red signs which one could not miss. These signs would have a number on them and texting or call that number will give you background information to the site or a local narrative.

3. The rule for my narrative is that anyone partaking in the tour must stop in every pizza place that they pass. I think this is a great way to see what the culture of this area is like, and also I think it allows you to interact more with the people of the community. In addition to this tourist must also stop at the "trigger points", which will be marked with a red light pole, or red sign. For "trigger points", I would pick some historically relevant places like the Italian Market, but also little things in the neighborhood like different murals that I had passed.

4. The narrative is a mixture of both random events and story's which have been told through the trigger points. This area is packed with so many different people that each walk through, provides another tale for one to tell. As for me personally, I remember one time walking down passyunk and a random man started to follow my boyfriend and have a full length conversation. Peculiar things of that nature is what makes this walk so great though. The interaction with people and the idea that something memorable will happen is guarantee.

5. My experience with this locative narrative has been great. It is really community oriented and allows travelers to relocate themselves in a new culture and a tight woven community. I think the historical relevance of my walk is also import, as the Italian Market has been a popular tourist spot for a very long time. This place needs really does not even need a narrative as visiting the trigger points provides conversation and new stories itself. This narrative reminded me of that article we read for class, Algorithmic Psychogeography, which talks about social drifters who just wonder to find their next experience which is what I was hoping to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment