Monday, November 9, 2009

Design Study #2 - Sutcliffe Park

Sutcliff Park Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?hl=en&gl=us&q=sutcliffe+park+conshohocken+map&ie=UTF8&ll=40.083586,-75.304815&spn=0.001966,0.004683&t=h&z=18

I chose a park located in my hometown for my Locative Narrative. Sutcliffe Park is located at 10th and Colwell Lane in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania. There are 4 baseball fields, a large playground and 3 basketball courts located throughout the park.


I chose to create a set of instructions for my subject to follow that forced him to make use of the landmarks present around him. The trigger points for this project were highlighted in the directions provided. I made use of the basketball court, the picnic benches, and the swing set just to name a few. The instructions not only forced my subject to interact with the landmarks physically but mentally as well. Part of my instructions forced my subject to recall memories involving a picnic bench, or a swing set for example. Along with the recollection of memories, my subject was forced to create new ones. Step 6 of my instructions forced my subject to chose a particular swing on the swing set and using the motion of his feet reach the highest point and jump off. This action, which I'm sure many children experienced as a kid, brought my subject back to his days of carefree play. This along with other parts of my instructions created a narrative by forcing the recollection of old memories and the creation of new ones. Below are the instructions I provided for my subject:

1. Pull up to the parking spots - park your car and get out.
2. Go to the center of the basketball court located to your left. Follow directions from there.
3. Sit here for 2 minutes. Use the pen and paper provided to write a few short sentences about the scenes you see around you.
4. Bring your pen and paper with you. Walk to the picnic benches to your right. Sit down on the first bench all the way to the right. Follow directions from there.
5. Recall a memory of your own that involves a picnic bench similar to the one you are sitting on, use the pen and paper provided to write this memory down. When you’re finished follow the directions from there.
6. Stand up and walk to the swing set to your right. Sit on the swing. Use the motion of your legs to swing for a few moments, jump off at the highest point – don’t get hurt!
7. Walk around the swings to the start of the path – near the green water fountain. Walk along the path, stop when you see a set of directions at your feet.
8. (Directions that were located on the ground) Stop walking. Spin in a circle 3 times, jump up and down twice. Now say your name as loud as you can. Congratulations, you are the only person who has ever done that in this exact spot. Now keep walking.
9. Continue walking along the path until you reach the basketball courts again. Walk to the center of the court and sit down. Use your pen and paper to write down your feelings about this experience. Follow directions further for the last step.
10. Stand up. Walk to your car and sit in the drivers’ seat. You’re finished! Now drive away.

Below are some pictures I captured while my subject was completing my instructions..




My subject (Chris) taking full advantage of step 6


Step 8 of my instructions. The sign was located at my subjects feet, forcing him to take notice of the ground while walking.


The final step was for Chris to document his feelings about the experience while sitting in the center of the basketball court, the same place he started out.

No comments:

Post a Comment