Monday, October 19, 2009

AlGORITHMIC PSYCHOGEOGRAPHY-AN EXPERIMENT BY JAKE WOOLF






basically, for my project, I wanted not only the experience to be in a way algorithmic, but I wanted the end result to be too. So, like most people, when I hear "algorithm", I think of math. What is the best and easiest way to experience math? With numbers. So, with that, I devised a set of rules that comprised of the following:
1. I would take a walk from my dorm room to the Saxby's on Liacouras Walk. Along my way I would take pictures of anything and everything that had the number 2 in it that I saw along the way.
2. I would not be allowed to stop unless already seeing a "2". I would not be allowed to stop and look. If I didn't see it while walking by, I simply did not see it.
3. Along the way, I would take every full number I saw it as a part of (ex: 1932) and add them up. To make it more interesting, If the final result ended in a two, I win, if not, oh well.

Heres some of the numbers I took pictures of.




So far, pretty simple. 2+2=4. (Hooray for the first grade!)




By the way, this is the second floor of 1940.





And more of the same...boring...2+2+2=6.












Ok, a little better. This is for 2010. So, now we have 2+2+2+2010= 2016...














Nice picture If I do say so myself, but boo simple 2. Not even gonna write it out. We know. 2018.










Now I'm FINALLY outside, where I know, as shown, there will be more interesting numbers than floors. Here we have a nice 1932 (Sounds like I'm talking about wine) number.

Also, there's a bunch more of these which I doubt I'll post cause they're redundant but I will include them in the final equation.

So...2018+1932= 3950


Ha...kind of a joke...but I will nonetheless include it as a #2. 3952 is our total. (This is the hours sheet on the door of New Wok)











Knowing that if I include the ".25" it will screw up my entire chance of ending in a #2, I decided to pretend I'm in europe and so it will be considered "2,250". (Also assuming theres a zero after the 5) So our total is now 6202.









24 hour sign for 7-Eleven. Enough said. 6202+24= 6226.











For this one I had to be incognito as I peered through the window of the 7-Eleven with the zoom lens. However, I did see the box when I was walking by so I had to do it. 6226+25= 6251.










This is the last picture I'm going to put up cause I think you all get the idea...but I liked this picture too. So, of the pictures, we have a grand total of
6251+2009=8260. In the pictures I didn't post, there was an additional 1902, 249, 1926, 1912, 1902 (The Saxby's), and a "2K10" which i counted as 2000. So, overall that gives us 8260+1902+249+1926+1912+1902+2000= 18,151. Well, I guess I lose. I thought it was cool to look for one particular thing on this path because that demands you to look in certain places you wouldn't normally look if you had a set destination.








No comments:

Post a Comment