Monday, October 19, 2009

Urban Algorithym--Matt Regan


For my activity I chose center city. I figured that if i was going to attempt at social interaction the city would be the best possible place for it. My rules that i had to follow were:
1.At every red light I must strike up a conversation with someone else waiting to cross.
2. My field of vision was to be restricted to the frame of the camera. I could not look up to make sure I was not going to walk into something or someone.
3. My destination had to be somewhere I had not been to before. I chose Urban Outfitters.

Surprisingly most of the people who i approached were willing to talk and answer questions but all refused to be put on camera. Many felt uncomfortable being video taped by a stranger on the street and others were concerned with being posted online. Even though I could not shoot our conversations I had gotten most walking away. I had talked to five people. Stacy a student at the art institute, Rebecca a stay at home mother, Steven a worker for Wachovia, Rachel a Temple student, and Samuel who claimed "was working day to day to survive." I enjoyed this activity because it puts people outside their comfort zone. Most people go through out their life just passing by people and places and not really focusing on the surroundings, only worrying about their destination. A walk that should have taken me 15 minutes tops ended up rounding out to about 35-40 minutes because of some wrong turns taken while walking to the view of my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment