Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Urban Algorithm-Adam Bonanni

Over the weekend the weather was less than ideal for urban venturing, so I had the idea to explore a familiar world to me with a few twists. In the game Left 4 Dead, the object is to cross town in the hopes of being rescued from an infected city much like every zombie movie in the past 20 years.
I had some ideas of how to kind of work against the foundation of the game in order to see how a living video game city would react. I'm very familiar with the maps and I wanted to put a new spin on the game to see what would happen if I worked outside how it was intended to be played.

Rules:
1. Pistols only
2. Level must be completed backwards
3. No environment or health pickups allowed

The level had to be fought through once to start at the end, and playing it through backwards, it was interesting to compare the experience of the level how it was meant to be played versus creating your own experience. The game has an on-the-fly A.I. system that will throw hordes of zombies at the player if nothing is happening, and this was the only threat on the way back. It was a bit disappointing to see how relatively scripted the level was, but the challenge that we imposed for our team made things a little bit more lively.
I didn't get the experience I thought I would get of taking the level backward (disorientation, fresh-ness), but it mixed up the setting a bit, and our self imposed challenges insured that we didn't altogether make it to the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S2Nc2cAtGE

No comments:

Post a Comment