Monday, October 19, 2009

Urban Algorithm - Robby Goss





I decided to do my Urban Algorithm around Love Park beacause it's a place that pretty much everyone knows about and events occur there every single day. I decided to make two simple rules for the project
1) Make at least 2 loops around the park
2) Each time i pass the Love statue, I must make conversation with someone.

As i started walki ng around the park, I was utterly surprised to see that barely anyone was at the park that day (freakin' weather).

But with the few people there i did meet some interesting ones. Two in particular were holding up FREE HUGS signs in front of the statue, me and my friend ran over and partake when they told us it was actually National Free Hugs day! I was surprised I had t otally forgotten about such a holliday. I asked if i could get a picture but the one girl was kinda shy and didnt really want one so I respected that and we said our goodbyes.

On our second loop, again the park was empty. But there were still a few people around the statue so I could still follow the rule. I started talking to this one guy who was taking pictures of different people, from affar it seemed like he was just being a creepy guy taking pictures of all these people but when we asked him what he was doing, he said he was taking pictures for other people in front of the statue since its kinda a signature saying, "I was there" as he put it.

But we didnt get our picture taken cause he was charging people and being a college student... no cash.

I'm happy with the results of the experience even though there wernt that many people at the park, there was still happenings going on. Every time theres something, whether it be skaters, bikers, break dancers, weddings, tours, or just people giving hugs. Theres never a reason NOT to go to Love Park <3

1 comment:

  1. That guy takin the pictures is there everyday. His name is Alvin and he usually looks after us skateboarders and tells us when cops are comming. hes a good guy

    ReplyDelete