Sunday, October 18, 2009

Urban Algorithm -Caitlin Cherry

My Urban Algorithm took place between Marvine St. and Front, and Catherine St. and Bainbridge crossing the Bella Vista and Queen Village neighborhoods.

I walk 3 blocks from my house to work every day. I take a very direct route: walk one block up 8th St., turn left on Bainbridge, walk two blocks to 10th St. and I'm there.

For my urban algorithm I decided to walk to work using two rules:
1. Only walk on streets ending with a vowel.
2. Do not use numbered streets.

Because my street ends in a consonant, St. Albans, I decided to start my walk from where my car was parked on Catherine St.

Catherine St. at 8th St. (my car is the white one!)


I walked west on Catherine St. I passed a few streets ending in vowels, but they did not go through to another vowel-ended street.

Percy St.


Delhi St.



A few blocks past my normal path, I found Marvine St. I turned right, up Marvine St.,




Then, finally, a right on Bainbridge near 11th St.




Getting home was much more difficult. I did not want to go back the same route, so I walked east on Bainbridge. Little did I know, there were no streets that ended in a vowel between 11th St. and the Delaware River. I found Reese St., but it did not go through to another vowel-ended street.




I reached the water then turned around, having to take the same route back to get home.




As a part of this project, I photographed the number 7 on houses. On my walk I looked for something to appreciate, and to make sure I'm paying attention to my surroundings. I love the font and style of the 7 on my own house, so I took notice of other 7s along my walk. Here are some of the interesting ones I found:




No comments:

Post a Comment