Monday, October 26, 2009

Practical Semiotics & Assumptions

When I was over at a friend's place this weekend, I met a friend of theirs and we had a short conversation. The usual "so what do you do?" question came up, and I told him that I'm a Film and Media Arts major. He replied that he had thought I was an art major of some kind before we started talking. As I was walking home, I began to wonder why he assumed that. Was it my attitude? My blue hoodie? The way I talk?

It's funny when you pass someone or actually meet someone, because people often judge others and make assumptions based on how they look. Had I been dressed differently, he might not have assumed what he did about me. Semiotics at least helps us put a finger on why these ideas occur to us: patterns, combinations, and juxtapositions help inform us and ingrain preconceptions so we have less associating to do all the time. But these conceptions are not always correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment