Sunday, October 25, 2009

Semiotics - Charly Joung

Semiotics is a form of interpretation which most people are familiar with in terms of functionality, usage, and methods, but not in the actual word itself. Everyone utilizes semiotics in their everyday life to a certain degree, whether it be in the course of their life at work, school or, probably where most people implement it, in face-to-face interactions with others. The simplest example of semiotics I can think of is when you "judge a book by its cover" in terms of social prejudices of someone based on their appearance. I doubt that there is a person that is not prejudice in some degree. I can be totally honest and say that I do judge books by its covers sometimes. For example, if I see a girl wearing leggings and Uggs and apply semiotics in terms of pop culture, I automatically think "this girl's favorite artist is probably likes Britney Spears or Lady Gaga, her favorite TV show was the O.C., and she liked the movie Twilight." But then one could say that because I think things like that I might be an elitist and then form other notions of me through that initial thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment